The first photo in this gallery is of the flatbed truck carrying 26 wounded veterans and their families in a parade Thursday in the West Texas city of Midland before it became stuck on a railroad crossing and struck by a train.
Bystanders describe an impact so violent that bodies were scattered half a city block. At one point, after surveying the scope of the wreckage, rescue crews started looking on nearby rooftops for victims.
“It was that violent,” Midland Fire Department Engineer David Stacy said. “When the train hit that trailer, people just went flying. There was a wide and long debris field, a human debris field.”
Now, Midland and surrounding residents are grieving, and officials are trying to piece together the breakdown that caused the accident, which killed four people and injured 17. Read the full story and watch video here.
(Photos: AP/Reporter Telegram)
16 Notes/ Hide
- thebest-worstthing reblogged this from alliemarie3
- poetrywrittenwithblood likes this
- dominichoward27 likes this
- alliemarie3 reblogged this from dallasmorningnews
- thenextcarrieb likes this
- eheredia1102 reblogged this from dallasmorningnews and added:
- xi3love reblogged this from dallasmorningnews
- gn-4-rly reblogged this from castleclause
- likepoundcakes likes this
- castleclause reblogged this from pablothecoati
- pablothecoati reblogged this from dallasmorningnews and added:
- mlalbert reblogged this from shulammitegirl
- marizeys likes this
- mvhannigan reblogged this from dallasmorningnews
- shulammitegirl reblogged this from dallasmorningnews
- dallasmorningnews posted this